Friday, February 22, 2013

I Knew a Woman by Theodore Roethke

At first sight I found this poem lovely and thought it was from a man in loved to his beloved... 

"I knew a woman, lovely in her bones"

But after reading it carefully, in some parts I found out it had like a double sense, or that it had erothical parts. 

"Ah, when she moved, she moved more ways than one:
The shapes a bright container can contain!
Of her choice virtues only gods should speak,
Or English poets who grew up on Greek
(I'd have them sing in a chorus, cheek to cheek)."


I infer that the man is really in love with that woman, he is so in love with her that he got the chance to know her better than any other woman he has seen. Actually in the whole poem he describes her in three ways, by her body, her heart, and her "moves". What he means is how she moved in bed.

I liked this poem because it describes the woman in a beautiful way, because eventhough it contains erotical content, it is a descent way to describe a lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment