Monday, September 10, 2012

Wanting to die by Anne Sexton

I enjoyed this poem, (not because of the title or the main idea), but because of the way death is being described to me in such a different way, as if it wasn't bad at all... as a desire or an adiction. It literaly says "If you want to commit suicide, do it, nothing will happen. You are free to do it if you want to." If I say this to my mother, she will just look at me and take me to the church because I've the devil inside me and I have problems with life; but Anne Sexton is, again, swimming against society, something I really like about her.
If we think it twice, how many times have we tasted or at least tried to taste death? Many times!!!! Driving when drunk, extreme sports, bungee, the parachute, etc... And you know what? We actually enjoy it! Sometimes we feel addicted to that adrenaline in our bodies, to the adrenaline of danger. But what Anne Sexton is telling us is this "Even then I have nothing against life." And then she says that death is "a drug so sweet that even children would look on and smile." I think this caused a great polemic in society, but I think she is trying to say that death is a part of life and that it can be pleasant; and in a way I agree with her.
Also in the poem, death is being descibed as a kind of art and language, because if you don't work with the "right tools" and know how to do it, it won't work. And even if I am not looking for death...
"... she waits for me, year after year, to so delicately mundo an old wound, to empty my breath form its bad prison."
Note. The body is the prison of my soul, and my soul just wants to come out and be free and rest. (Platon thought this way)

No comments:

Post a Comment