Monday, September 17, 2012

Homage to my Hips by Lucille Clifton

This was an intresting poem considering Lucille Clifton is a black woman. What I can see about her personality in this poem, besides that she has big hips, is that she is a woman that is not embarrased about being black, she is a free, secure, and independent woman that is happy being the way she is. I think that the hips is a way of representing her, her hips might be "big hips", but also she is a big woman, in a way of saying that she is a great woman and that she needs something that really deserves her. 
Also I think that since the hips are an important part of a woman, that even men look at, she is saying in a way that every woman can have big hips, but not every man deserves those hips, because they are free to do whatever and go wherever they want to.
If you want to see it from another prespective it is an indirect for men, and she is telling them "kiss my big ass because you'll never be able to deserve them"
"I have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top"

No comments:

Post a Comment