Friday, December 7, 2012

Spiritual "Go Down Moses"

"Go down moses
way down in Egypt land
Tell all pharaohs to
Let my people go!"
When I first read this it made me think of slavery and reminded me a passage of the bible, when Moses wants to free the Jewish from the Egyptians, a very important event for history. But the most curious think was that this spiritual used to be sung by Negro slaves many years ago in the US.
After knowing that I thought of black slaves asking for their freedom, because they were badly treated, they were like the Jewish people form the US and the white people were the Egyptians having control over the Negros lives.  
"When Israel was in Egypt land...
Let my people go!
Oppressed so hard they could not stand...
Let my people go!"
I believe that this is just a way to call the attention to ask for freedom and their rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment