Friday, December 7, 2012

Spiritual "Swing low, sweet chariot"

"Swing low, Sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home."
My first impression was that this was going to be about dead as a representation of freedom, but I was wrong this talks about freedom but not dead. It makes allusion to another passage in the Bible when the Jewish wanted to be free form the Egyptians. And again this was something that Negro slaves used to sing. 

"I looked over Jordan 
and what did I see
Coming for to carry me home
A band of Angels coming after me
Coming for to carry me home."
When it says “I looked over Jordan” it doesn’t mean that Jordan is a person, but it is talking about the Jordan river. Also when it says “a band of angels coming after me” I thought of dead once more. But what they are trying to say is that the people that will help them to be free are already coming to help them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment