Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner

To be honest I didn't like the story very much because of the fact that, at least for me, is very confusing, nevertheless it is a very intresting story because it is about the illness of a woman, but we can't really know what kind of illness she had; she could've been mad or depressed. I trulla believe she was mad, because she killed the man he loved and kept the body in her house to feel close to him. Also because when her dad died, she didn't really accepted her loss and she starts to go into a depression; but the most shocking part of this dark parts is when she says she saw the Colonel and she admitts he told her she didn't had any taxes. At this point I thought that she was crazy or a liar. 
Another important fact is when she goes to buy the arsenic and doesn't want to tell what does she want it for "I want the strongest" she says, I thought she was going to commit suicide because of her depression that she was really alone, and the town people believe she is insane. 
There are many weird events that happen a long the story, like the smell in Emily's house, the way she acts towards others, the fact she doesn't accept her father's dead, and that she doesn't let anyone inside her house. But I noticed that the thing that catches all the attention is the constant presence of death and weird attitudes. 
The story is quite good but for me it is hard to understand because it doesn't have an easy order of the events. 

No comments:

Post a Comment